Friday, March 11, 2016

Why I married a sex addict

I've seen a lot of post's online where women said "if I had known he was a sex addict before, I never would have married him". In some ways I can understand this. They said vows and they expected their partner to honor them. In my situation I guess I was lucky that I knew about the addiction before we had crossed that bridge... and because of it we had PLENTY of therapy, I knew exactly what I was getting into. Maybe the difference is that I had a choice.

I remember coming to the realization that if I left him and moved on I would never be able to trust another man...so why not see if I could learn to trust him again. 
Another reason was that as he continued to go to SAA meetings and therapy I could see him coming out of the shell he'd been hiding in before. I could ask him anything and get a response instead of him getting upset or shutting down.
The final reason was that despite his alter ego (addiction), he is one of the kindest and most loving people I've ever met. I had decided before I learned of his addiction that I wanted to share my life with him...the good, the bad and the ugly.

1 comment:

  1. I knew before marriage and I had a choice too and that makes a difference in the day to day dealings. I knew how bad it could get from the start (and sadly it did and then some) but every day I know I have a choice and that is freeing. Still sucks though. My story is nowhere near over. While the legal stuff is over with my husband is still dealing daily with his demons.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts! (You can do this anonymously)
Comments will be reviewed before they are displayed to make sure they are positive and/or helpful to others.
Negative, hurtful or rude comments will not be allowed.