Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Support

It's important to have support when we're going through this mess, but often our friends and family don't understand addiction and aren't really sure how to support us! We might find that certain people are better supporters than others. You'll likely be surprised to see who truly cares enough about you to deal with you through this difficult time of misery.


My mother has been my #1 support and the person who knows every ugly detail. She held me as I fell apart and broke into a million pieces. She offered her thoughts and concerns, but didn't make me feel like I was making a mistake by following my heart. She listened and became educated about sex addiction without being annoyed or uncomfortable. She embraced my husband and treated him as if nothing happened. She has been my rock.

One of my friends really shocked me with how supportive she was abd it brought us closer together. Although she hasn't experienced this situation herself, she has been awesome at listening and asking questions to learn more about it. She has never judged me or made me feel like staying with my husband was a bad idea. She told me early on that whatever my decision was, she only cared that it would bring me happiness.

I have a few other friends who are also supportive. They praise me for being strong enough to stay and for being so compassionate and forgiving of my husband.

I am so grateful to have these people in my life! Sometimes I get stuck thinking about old friendships that didn't survive my husband's addiction (silly way to put it, but it's true) and then I have to remind myself that the people who are still around are the ones that truly care about me and love me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to share your thoughts! (You can do this anonymously)
Comments will be reviewed before they are displayed to make sure they are positive and/or helpful to others.
Negative, hurtful or rude comments will not be allowed.